Jun 3, 2013

When I was alone, I wasn't really alone.


Solitude
               In the fall of 2012, when I was alone I wasn’t really alone, technically, but I felt alone.  I was with many people at an outside restaurant whom I did not know.  They were speaking with each other unintelligibly to me, the content of their dialogue was conveniently tuned out by my ear-cancelling headphones.  For weeks I would show up there and I would concentrate on writing poetry and composing music.  Some of my favorite compositions were composed while I was in a state of solitude.  I had minimal interaction with waitresses during this time, as I really wanted to finish my thirty minute composition and my goal was to make it sound as Tchaikovskian as possible.  I quickly found that it was too difficult to write a single piece, especially in the shadow of Tchaikovsky’s “Romeo and Juliet,” which lasts 18 minutes.  He had actually written a shorter version first then he later revised it after consulting with Balakirev, a contemporary.  I used software to be able to compose music away from the piano: Sibelius is a notation software, and cakewalk is a simpler notation software that has a more user-friendly interface. Cakewalk also has a playback function, which is an absolute necessity.  For me, one has to hear the melody sort of in one’s head much like how one remembers a melody from a composition.  Even before one improvises on a piano, one must hear the melody before actually hearing it and expanding on it.  On the outside, spectators look at you as if improvisation is a spontaneous art and just like the method of composition, but actually a lot of thought has gone into it beforehand.  When I sit down to improvise, I can immediately tell whether it’s a bad melody or good one, and it usually is luck that lands on a good one.  One must learn to separate the visual aspect of the keyboard from the abstractness of music theory behind the keyboard.  It’s not enough to memorize I-V chord progressions and more complicated ones, although they are helpful.  The trick is having an idea, much like a computer scientist has with a project, before beginning an improvisation or composition.  When I sit down to compose, I don’t see numbers for chord progressions because I simply don’t have the time to write them out, although, I can create something that sounds amazing using advanced music theory, I presume.  Knowing which note is going to be a voice and then, knowing the rhythm of the voice and hearing where I want it to go next is the skill I’ve sought to develop since middle school.  I do this by figuring out the interval, or if I have a really good ear, I can immediately tell what the interval is, and then inputting it into the software program.  I wrote six pieces that Fall that I thought were going to be thirty minutes long each, but they turned out to be five minutes long on average.  But later, I discovered that if I combined all of them, they sounded unified.  And much like Tchaikovsky’s tragic eighteen minute composition, this one has many pauses and climatic moments, I think.  If I had the time and the courage, I’d learn my own composition and play it.  As an improviser and composer without any real distinguishing license, I am content with just feeling like I have piano composition as a side hobby; it’s not that important to me to finish the music degree I had started eight years ago.

Another time I felt absolute solitude—like nothing bothered me and I wasn’t psychotic—was when I was alone in my room for days on end, though I did not confine myself entirely to its location but since I did wonder about the house frequently.  I remember being in there the most while I was unemployed during a summer years ago, mostly while my father was away at work and I still had some remnant of discipline left in me.  I would see my dad return regularly from work at 3:30pm, but I was alone and I could divide my tasks up how I saw fit according to my priorities, such as: reading, playing/practicing the piano, and watching TV/playing video games.  While this was hardly nature driven as in the case of Thoreau’s story, “Walden,” I thought that surrounding myself with technology would ease the passage of time.  In retrospect, I have found this to be rather passive and a wasteful way to spend time, except for reading and composing music.  But during this time, I improvised a few pieces that I recorded (and put on YouTube) of the exact feelings, emotions, and desires I had for a particular woman who’s now moved on.