Feb 27, 2013

The Greedy Corporate Pawn



All my employees love me because I pay their salaries.
I tell them what their tasks are and how many things need to get done.
I don’t give them a list, I tell them what to do according to my list.
After all, someone’s got to do it, but not I.
I make sure they aren’t lazy,
They get paid well though less than I,
and I teach them what to say… what not to say.
After all, it’s corporate policy.
And though they would band together to form a union,
I will not let them, for I’m a greedy corporate pawn,
Trying to rise in rank by doing what I know is best for you.
I complain though not for the right cause, but for success,
Even you, a student of promising abilities, will get in my way,
Even you showed up to work late, though that isn't why I will report you.
It's your demeaning, ambivalent, and disagreeing character that affects me.
Against corporate policy you aid an elderly woman, who was incompetent with the computer,
Though we made sure (my boss and I) on various occasions you shall not help anyone.
Afterwards, I told you to do the menial tasks to reach quota.
You immediately disagreed with my “attitude,” but I retorted that
“since my salary is based on your work, we have a problem you and I.”
The next day, after you were rude to a lady who worked there by calling her a “bitch,”
These events cause our boss to fire you,
Since I'm the greedy corporate pawn,
Your worst nightmare.