Sep 14, 2011

"What is an Ecological Footprint?"

Wrote this for class, if anyone is interested in understanding what it is, read!



An ecological footprint is what I leave behind because of my existence on the Earth. It is the affect I have, or a population, has on the environment in terms of land water to dispose of their waste and to eat, transport, live, use services, and buy things. The affect I have on the environment is measured in terms of carbon waste, hectares, and number of earths I would need if everyone lived the same way I do, in order to understand how I fall in place with each other relatively speaking and to understand how to live more sustainably.

The statement, “the population problem does not lie entirely with the developing world,” is true, because in wealthy nations, despite there being a slower growth rate due to laws or other factors than in developing nations, people in 1st world countries have a much larger footprint overall, considering, we consume a lot more and live a lot more extravagantly. And countries like China already have a population problem and are almost entirely developed. So while we are living in our big homes and using our fancy technology, poorer nations, though growing at a faster rate, are leaving behind a smaller ecological footprint, relatively speaking.